Treating rejection in organ transplants
Read time: 10 mins
Last updated:10th Aug 2020
Published:10th Aug 2020
Over 139,000 transplants are estimated to take place every year, but what treatments are available if these organs are rejected? Discover the range of therapies currently available and in clinical trials for the treatment of transplant rejection in liver, kidney, heart and lung transplants.
- Global Observatory on Donation and Transplant (GODT), The World Health Organisation (WHO). Organ Donation and Transplantation Activities Executive summary. 2017 http://www.transplant-observatory.org/. Accessed 2 July 2020.
- Graziadei I, Zoller H, Fickert P, Schneeberger S, Finkenstedt A, Peck-Radosavljevic M, et al. Indications for liver transplantation in adults. Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2016;128(19–20):679–690.
- Alraies MC, Eckman P. Adult heart transplant: Indications and outcomes. J Thorac Dis. 2014;6(8):1120–1128.
- Weill D. Lung transplantation: Indications and contraindications. J Thorac Dis. 2018;10(7):4574–4587.
- Kidney Care UK. Facts and Stats. https://www.kidneycareuk.org/news-and-campaigns/facts-and-stats/. Accessed 2 July 2020.
- van der Zwan M, Baan CC, van Gelder T, Hesselink DA. Review of the Clinical Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of Alemtuzumab and Its Use in Kidney Transplantation. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2018;57(2):191–207.
- Kim IC, Youn JC, Kobashigawa JA. The past, present and future of heart transplantation. Korean Circ J. 2018;48(7):565–589.