4.1 Therapeutic indications
Clarithromycin 250 mg/5 ml suspension is indicated in adults, adolescents and children, 6 months to 12 years, for the treatment of the following acute and chronic infections, when caused by clarithromycin susceptible organisms.
• Infections of the upper respiratory tract such as tonsillitis/pharyngitis, as an alternative when beta lactam antibiotics are not appropriate.
• Acute otitis media in children.
• Infections of the lower respiratory tract such as community acquired pneumonia.
• Sinusitis and acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis in adults and adolescents over 12 years of age
• Skin infections and soft tissue infections of mild to moderate severity.
In appropriate combination with antibacterial therapeutic regimens and an appropriate ulcer healing medicinal product for the eradication of Helicobacter pylori in adult patients with H. pylori associated ulcers. See section 4.2.
Consideration should be given to official guidance on the appropriate use of antibacterial agents.
Why sign up with Medthority?
Develop your knowledge with our disease and condition focused Learning Zones
Access content from credible sources, including expert-led commentary, videos, podcasts, and webinars as well as clinical trials, treatment information and guidelines
Personalised dashboard providing updates and recommendations for content within your areas of interest
The drug SPC information (indications, contra-indications, interactions, etc), has been developed in collaboration with eMC (www.medicines.org.uk/emc/). Medthority offers the whole library of SPC documents from eMC.
Medthority will not be held liable for explicit or implicit errors, or missing data.
Drugs appearing in this section are approved by UK Medicines & Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), & the European Medicines Agency (EMA).