4.1 Therapeutic indications
Amoxicillin is indicated for the treatment of the following infections in adults and children (see section 4.2, 4.4 and 5.1).
• Acute bacterial sinusitis
• Acute streptococcal tonsillitis and pharyngitis
• Acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis
• Community acquired pneumonia
• Acute otitis media
• Acute cystitis
• Acute pyelonephritis
• Asymptomatic Bacteriuria in pregnancy
• Typhoid and paratyphoid fevers
• Dental abscess with spreading cellulitis
• Prosthetic joint infections
• Helicobacter pylori eradication
• Lyme disease
Amoxicillin is also indicated for the prophylaxis of endocarditis. Consideration should be given to official guidance on the appropriate use of antibacterial agents.
Why sign up with Medthority?
Develop your knowledge with our disease and condition focused Learning Zones
Access content from credible sources, including expert-led commentary, videos, podcasts, and webinars as well as clinical trials, treatment information and guidelines
Personalised dashboard providing updates and recommendations for content within your areas of interest
The drug SPC information (indications, contra-indications, interactions, etc), has been developed in collaboration with eMC (www.medicines.org.uk/emc/). Medthority offers the whole library of SPC documents from eMC.
Medthority will not be held liable for explicit or implicit errors, or missing data.
Drugs appearing in this section are approved by UK Medicines & Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), & the European Medicines Agency (EMA).