4.1 Therapeutic indications
Co-Trimoxazole for Infusion is indicated in children aged 12 years and under (>6 weeks to <12 years old); children over 12 years old (>12 to < 18 years old) and adults (>18 years old) for the treatment of the following infections when owing to sensitive organisms (see section 5.1):
• Acute uncomplicated urinary tract infection: It is recommended that initial episodes of uncomplicated urinary tract infections be treated with a single effective antibacterial agent rather than a combination such as Co-Trimoxazole for Infusion.
• Treatment and prevention of Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonitis or “PJP”.
• Treatment and prophylaxis of toxoplasmosis.
• Treatment of nocardiosis.
• In general, the indications for the use of Co-Trimoxazole for Infusion are the same as those for oral presentations.
Consideration should be given to official guidance on the appropriate use of antibacterial agents.
Why sign up with Medthority?
Develop your knowledge with our disease and condition focused Learning Zones
Access content from credible sources, including expert-led commentary, videos, podcasts, and webinars as well as clinical trials, treatment information and guidelines
Personalised dashboard providing updates and recommendations for content within your areas of interest
The drug SPC information (indications, contra-indications, interactions, etc), has been developed in collaboration with eMC (www.medicines.org.uk/emc/). Medthority offers the whole library of SPC documents from eMC.
Medthority will not be held liable for explicit or implicit errors, or missing data.
Drugs appearing in this section are approved by UK Medicines & Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), & the European Medicines Agency (EMA).