4.1 Therapeutic indications
For the prophylaxis and treatment of infections caused by erythromycin-sensitive organisms.
Erythromycin is highly effective in the treatment of a great variety of clinical infections such as:
- Upper Respiratory Tract infections: tonsillitis, peritonsillar abscess, pharyngitis, laryngitis, sinusitis, secondary infections in influenza and common colds
- Lower Respiratory Tract infections: tracheitis, acute and chronic bronchitis, pneumonia (lobar pneumonia, bronchopneumonia, primary atypical pneumonia), bronchiectasis, Legionnaire's disease
- Ear infection: otitis media and otitis externa, mastoiditis
- Oral infections: gingivitis, Vincent's angina
- Eye infections: blepharitis
- Skin and soft tissue infections: boils and carbuncles, paronychia, abscesses, pustular acne, impetigo, cellulitis, erysipelas
- Gastrointestinal infections: cholecystitis, staphylococcal enterocolitis
- Prophylaxis: peri- and post-operative trauma, burns, rheumatic fever.
- Other infections: osteomyelitis, urethritis, gonorrhoea, syphilis, lymphogranuloma venereum, diphtheria, prostatitis, scarlet fever
Why sign up with Medthority?
Develop your knowledge with our disease and condition focused Learning Zones
Access content from credible sources, including expert-led commentary, videos, podcasts, and webinars as well as clinical trials, treatment information and guidelines
Personalised dashboard providing updates and recommendations for content within your areas of interest
The drug SPC information (indications, contra-indications, interactions, etc), has been developed in collaboration with eMC (www.medicines.org.uk/emc/). Medthority offers the whole library of SPC documents from eMC.
Medthority will not be held liable for explicit or implicit errors, or missing data.
Drugs appearing in this section are approved by UK Medicines & Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), & the European Medicines Agency (EMA).